• Opening Time : 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

USA Student visa

To study in US a student needs good grades and a student visa. You will need to apply for a student visa if you wish to study in the US but are not a citizen of the US. Make sure you start putting together your application for a US student visa well in advance – at least three to five months before your course is scheduled to begin. Applying for a student visa in the US often involves a number of processes.

There are three types of student visa, that is F-1 visa, M-1 visa and J-1 visa but for international students who wants to study full time in an undergraduate or graduate program will need an F-1 visa. 

There are few things you need to know before applying for your US student visa:

The National Security Investigations Division's Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) serves as a link for government agencies looking for information on non-immigrants coming to the country to attend education. In addition to approving and monitoring the enrolment of F and M non-immigrant students, SEVP also advises schools and students on the requirements for preserving their status. Any institution that accepts non-immigrant international students on F visas needs to have the Student Exchange Visitor Program's approval and certification (SEVP). The only government agency that may authorise schools to provide Form I-20 documentation is SEVP, and as you are surely aware, you need a Form I-20 in order to submit an application for a student visa.

What does selecting a school have to do with any of this? 

There are certain colleges that aim to admit international students without SEVP approval. If you are an international student with a F or M visa and you are looking for a language school to which you’d want to transfer, you MUST choose a language school that is a SEVP certified school to retain your status.

The "Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status," or Form I-20, is required of students who wish to study in the United States. One of these two documents will be provided to you by your authorised school official once you have been admitted to a university approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). 

This I-20 form is very important as you will need this form many times, for instance:

  • The Form I-20 must be obtained from a DSO (designated school official) at the institution you intend to attend before you can pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System Fee. To pay the cost, you will require information from the Form I-20. Before entering the United States, you must pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee.
  • The date when you are permitted to enter the country is stated on the Form I-20. Up to 120 days before to the beginning of your term of study, an F-1 student visa may be awarded. Your I-20 must be the same type as your student visa.
  • As you enter the nation, you must have your Form I-20 with you. Avoid putting it in your suitcase. You will be instructed by a U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent to show your Form I-20 at the port of entry. The start date on your Form I-20 can be up to 30 days in the past.
  • Your Form I-20 serves as documentation that you are legitimately registered for a course of study in the US. As a result, it might be required if you want to apply for the F student benefits. Remember to bring your Form I-20 with you if you are qualified to apply for a driver's licence or a social security number.
  • Before the Department of State awards, you a visa, regulation mandates that all prospective F students pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee.

    Who pays this I-901 SEVIS fee?

    • potential F students from nations where a visa is required to enter the United States.
    • Any non-immigrant in the country requesting a change of status from non-immigrant to F-1 status.
    • When a F student has been out of status for more than five months and is requesting reinstatement of their student status as a result of a status violation, they must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.
    • An F student who left the country for more than five months and wants to come back to continue their studies in the same field of study is eligible to re-enter the country.

    What you need to pay for I-901 SEVIS fee?

    You will require the following documentation in order to pay for I-901 SEVIS fee:

    • Your name, address, date of birth and email address
    • Country of birth and citizenship
    • School code which will be given on I-20
    • The Form I-20's SEVIS Identification Number is used.

    Through your credit card you can pay this I-901 fee or you can take help of any known person who have a credit card. After paying I-901 fee make sure to print a receipt because in order to get student visa you need to have proof that you had paid I-901 fee. 

DS-160 is the online visa application form, in case you need to file visa application online you will need to fill DS-160 form. While filling this form, all you need to do is select the location from which you wish to apply and make sure to be ready with all required documents. Note your application ID which will be at the top as you may need it later. 

Personal details you will need to fill this form are:

  • Name and date of birth
  • Phone number and address
  • Details of passport
  • All travel and company details, if any
  • Details of previous travel to US, if any
  • Your contacts in US
  • Education, work and family details
  • Fundings and medical information
  • Your SEVIS ID along with address of your school

You will also upload a recent photo according to the requirements that will be mentioned. After completing the application, you will need to sign this form electrically. You will receive a confirmation sheet with a barcode, barcode number, and your application ID number after your application has been submitted. You must print this document off and bring it with you to your visa interview appointment. It's not necessary to print the entire application.

Some tips to make your visa process go smooth

Only after you've applied to and been accepted by a school that has SEVP approval can you submit an application for a student visa. The Student Exchange and Visitor Program is known as SEVP. This programme must certify any US institution that accepts F-1 or M-1 students. You can start the visa application procedure as soon as you've been admitted to the college or university you want to attend.

Take into consideration that you must obtain your visa prior to the start of your programme. Although you can obtain a US student visa up to 120 days before to the commencement of your programme, you cannot enter the country on this visa until 30 days have passed since the start date.

Here is a list of things you need while applying for US student visa. 

  • Passport
  • Passport size photo
  • Confirmation page of DS-160
  • I-20 form 
  • Payment of application for SEVIS fee

  • First and foremost, apply and get accepted to a US college or university. (Keep in mind to check whether the institute is SEVP approved)
  • Receive I-20 form from the institute which is basically a certificate for eligibility for non-immigrant student status.
  • Once you receive your I-20 form, we will help you to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. This is mostly paid through credit card and note that this fee is separate from your visa application fee.
  • Then we will help you to submit your additional documents with your visa application.
  • Next step is to fill and submit DS-160 form and no need to worry because GandhiSir.com will guide you with that.
  • After that comes the interview part and you will schedule your visa interview.
  • Then comes the visa application fee that is 160 USD and this price is overall same. As we are concerned about your money, we offer students to pay this fee after interview.
  • The main part of all is to attend your interview as the interview will decide whether you will receive your student visa or not. Don’t worry about that because GandhiSir.com will help you in preparation of your interview.
  • And once you complete all those steps and pass your interview, you will receive your visa within a specific time period.

There are two main groups of US universities: privately sponsored colleges and public institutions. The tuition charges for international students at state institutions are based on non-resident rates, which are often less expensive than those of private colleges. The costs for student visas are not included. When you study in the USA, you will require between $10,000 and $55,000 a year to pay for your tuition.

Study Program

Approximate tuition fee 

Undergraduate Bachelor Degree

$15,000 to $40,000 per year

Graduate Programs

$20,000 to $40,000 per year

Doctoral Degree

$20,000 to $45,000 per year

  • Start early: you should start your visa process with some time gap to make things go easy and not in rush because if you start your visa with too little time, it is likely to be refused.
  • Don’t buy a plane ticket until you have your visa: Although applying for a student visa early is a good idea, it's better to wait to purchase any aircraft tickets until you have your visa, as there is no assurance that your application will be accepted.


Career Counseling

The first step, students are counselled in-depth which leads to 100% Visa and  PR success rate.

Offer Letter

offer letter is applied after selecting relevant course and college


 This form proves you are legally enrolled in a program


Before getting visa, it is mandatory to pay I-901 fee


This is the visa application form 


Medical is booked without any delay

Visa filing

This is already in process and done with care to achieve great results

Embassy Interview

Our experts will train you for the interview.

Visa receiving

After patiently waiting for about 2-3 weeks, you receive your visa

Appreciation award

This ceremony is organized by GS for congratulating the students on achieving the visa

Post-visa guidance

Even after they have left their home country, our clients continue to contact us since we not only help them before they leave, but we also assist them with post-landing tasks like SIN, lodging, etc.