• Opening Time : 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

UK Student Visa

The UK has a long legacy of great education, with universities going back to the 12th and 13th centuries, according to the HESA website, attracting over 458,490 foreign students. According to QS World Rankings 2020, 25 UK institutions are among the top 200 universities worldwide. In addition, four colleges are ranked in the top ten. The UK’s universities are regarded for having superb pedagogy combined with a strong research focus.

China, India, the United States, and Hong Kong send the most students to the United Kingdom from non-EU nations. By June of 2019, the number of Indian students will be around 22,000. The fact that 96 percent of visa applications are approved is a boon for Indian students.

Students (including international students) are known to receive large discounts on public transportation, food, literature, and entertainment throughout the country; therefore, students are urged to inquire about student discounts wherever they go. In the United Kingdom, there is a lot of opportunities for second-hand shopping.

Engineering, science, art & design, business & management, law, and finance are the key fields of study that the country is recognized for. Students are interested in pursuing a master’s degree in the United Kingdom.

As per the current UKVI regulations the student needs to score 70 points for getting a successful student visa. The details of the points are as under.



In the UK, Student Visa comes under STUDENT ROUTE VISA under Point Based System. The policies are framed by United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI)  and in India, they are executed by :

§British High Commission, New Delhi

§Deputy British High Commission, Chennai

§Deputy British High Commission, Kolkata

§Deputy British High Commission, Mumbai

A CAS letter (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is an electronic document produced by the institution in support of your student visa application. After you've accepted an offer and paid the required deposit to reserve your spot, you'll get a CAS letter. Your personal information, course of study, study term, and a unique CAS number are all included in the letter. Many UK universities will send the CAS straight to the student's email address, therefore it's important to include the right email addresses on the application form when applying to the university or college. CAS has a 6-month validity period and may only be used once. If the student's visa is denied, we must obtain a new CAS for him to reapply for the visa.
To receive your CAS the following documents are required by the University:
Unconditional Offer to study at University
Completed Personal Statement
Copies of your qualifications
Copy of Passport
Copy of English Proficiency Test (IELTS/PTE)
Copy of any Previous UK VISA/Refusal
Tuition Fees Payment Receipt
Tuberculosis Test Report
28 Days Old Financials (Bank Statement and Balance Certificate)
The CAS statement tells you the following information:
14 digit reference number for the CAS
Sponsor License Number (SLN) of the university where you intend to study
Start and end dates of your course
Title of the course
Tuition fees for the first year or the entire course
Any tuition fees that you have already paid to the university
Any accommodation fees that you have already paid
Assessment of your English language Test

 In the Points Based System's Student Route, there are two types of students:

  • Adult / General student refers to students who are 16 years of age or older who are studying in the United Kingdom.
  • Child student visas: are available for children aged 4 to 16 who wish to study in the United Kingdom.

As an Adult / General student, students between the ages of 16 and 18 are eligible to apply.

The student must show that his or her parents or legal guardians have given their permission for them to make their own lodging arrangements and travel to the United Kingdom.


You must be able to pay for your study as well as sustain yourself in the United Kingdom.

The amount of money you’ll need is determined by your circumstances and the institution you’re looking for.

The cost of the course

You’ll need enough money to cover the cost of your education for a full academic year (up to 9 months). On your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, you’ll see the amount you’ll need to pay (CAS).

You don’t need to prove you have this money for your visa application if you’ve been in the UK for at least 12 months with a valid visa.

Funds need to be shown 

Unless you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months on the date of your application, you’ll need to prove you have enough money to sustain yourself.

The amount of money you’ll require is determined on where you’ll be studying. You’ll need one of the following:

  • Courses in London cost £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months).
  • Outside of London, courses cost £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months).

You’ll have to pay boarding expenses if you’re attending a residential independent school. Your CAS will show you how much you need to pay.

The City of London and the 32 London boroughs are referred to as London.

You must keep this money for a minimum of 28 days. The 28-day term must finish within 31 days of the day you submit your visa application.

Funds can be calculated by totalling (Remaining Fees for 1 year+ Living Expenses) 

The Education Loan Letter must be in the student's name or jointly with the parents' name.
Savings Account Statement / Passbook with Bank Balance Certificate showing 28 days old funds in the name of the student / joint account with the parents / or solely in the name of the parents from a Reserve Bank of India authorized bank
Fixed Deposit( must be on the name of the student or joint in name with parents or spouse)
Other relatives, such as grandparents, uncles, brothers, and sisters, cannot sponsor the student for a UK student visa, and cash in their accounts will not be approved. They should deposit the money in the student's account. If the funds are not in the student's name, a birth certificate is necessary to establish the relationship. If you have a joint account then there is a need for a Letter of consent from parents that have to be enclosed with the application.

If you are enrolled in a recognized university’s study program, you can work up to 20 hours per week and full-time during the vacations as a student in the United Kingdom. The National Minimum Wage is £5.3 per hour for students aged 16 to 20, and £8.7 per hour for those aged 21 and over.

What kind of student jobs you can do in the UK?

There are a variety of part-time choices based on what you want to do and what you can get:

1)At a café, restaurant, back office, store, malls, supermarkets, petrol stations, and other similar establishments.

2)Companies pay students to develop and administer their social media pages. You may earn a lot of money here if you know how to perform digital marketing and have the necessary abilities.

3)Freelance Jobs: If you have a talent, you may showcase it on YouTube or create an online course.

4)Tutoring: You must apply ahead of time. If there is a research opportunity, you can work as a research assistant for a professor.

How to Find JOBS in the UK?

1)Students have a variety of options at their disposal to assist them in their search for part-time or full-time employment.

2)Most institutions offer career centres that can assist you in finding work. Other options include using websites like LinkedIn, StudentJob, Employment 4 Students, and others to search for employment online. If there are any openings, you may also apply in person.

3)Remember to be kind and professional in all of your communications (via email or phone). If the application is done in rounds or stages, follow up nicely if you haven’t heard from them in a while.

As a student working in the UK, what are my job rights?

1) The National Minimum Wage is yours to keep.

2) Even if the same employer has offered you future full-time employment, you must be compensated as an intern.

3) The employer must provide you with equal salary, sick leave, maternity, paternity, and other holidays.

4) You have the right to training and development opportunities, as well as career breaks.

5) Financial advantages will be distributed on a pro-rata basis. For example, if a full-time employee receives a bonus of 1000 pounds, part-time employees must get 500 pounds.

6) Unlike full-time employees, you are not eligible to overtime compensation.

7) Because you work part-time, you may excuse not having health insurance.

8)Unpaid student internships, school work experience assignments (under 16 years of age), and voluntary labour may not be eligible for remuneration.

9) The intern may not be compensated if all they have to do is shadow another employee.

10) If you are treated unfairly, you can file a complaint with the Employee Tribunal.

Immigration Health Surcharge:

As part of your UK immigration application, you may be required to pay a healthcare surcharge known as the “Immigration Health Surcharge” (IHS).

The National Health Service will thereafter be available to you (NHS). Certain sorts of treatments, including as medications, dental care, and eye exams, would still need payment.

If you paid the surcharge or were excluded from paying it, and your visa enables you to stay in England for longer than six months, you will be eligible to free NHS hospital care on the same basis as a permanent resident. From the time your visa is approved until it expires, this will be the case. However, if the Home Office restricts or terminates your visa sooner than expected, you will be responsible for all further NHS hospital care from that point forward, even if you have paid the extra. You'll also be charged for any non-exempt treatment you had prior to your visa's commencement date. You may have to pay an additional cost if you request for a visa extension. You will not be required to pay the extra if you apply for and are granted indefinite permission to remain. Paying the extra merely allows you to use the NHS's services. Paying the fee does not imply that you will be treated more quickly. Doctors will evaluate the urgency of your illness in the same manner as resident patients are evaluated, and you will be placed on a waiting list if required.
The exact amount you pay is determined on the length of your visa. A visa may be granted for a period of time longer than your term of study or job. The current annual charge is £624. The Immigration (Health Charge) (Amendment) Order 2020 lays out the details, which may be found on the government's website. In most situations, the IHS required for a certain visa application may be calculated by multiplying the number of years of leave sought by £624. The length of leave must be rounded up to the nearest half-year if it is not a round number of years. For people who are not mathematically inclined, the government provides an online calculator(https://www.immigration-health-surcharge.service.gov.uk/checker/type )

Refund of IHS

Yes, if an application is denied, the IHS is automatically returned to the card used to make the payment. Refunds can take up to six weeks, and in some cases much longer. You can contact the Home Office if your refund has not received within six weeks.

(Biometric Residence Permit Card) You will normally be granted a short visa in your passport if you apply for a Student Visa from outside the UK (this is called a vignette). Your vignette should be 90 days long and will let you to enter the United Kingdom. The reminder of your visa will be documented on a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP). When you arrive in the UK, you may pick up your BRP. The BRP is a chip-enabled card that contains information about you, your visa, and your biometric data. When you submit your visa application, you must specify where you wish to pick up your BRP. Your CAS will provide you with a code that you may use on your visa application (this is called an ACL code). Please keep in mind that this is a campus-specific code. We propose that you use this code to select the university where the BRP will be collected. You can also select to have it delivered to a nearby Post Office.

Your BRP collection point’s address will be listed on your decision letter.

You must pick up your BRP within 10 days of your arrival in the UK, or before the visa in your passport expires (whichever is the latest date). If you do not collect your BRP, you will be fined.


  • Shortlisting University and Course
  • Application submission and Acceptance in Universities
  • PRE-CAS INTERVIEW (if required)
  • Minimum Deposit for CAS payment/Tuition Fees payment
  • Tuberculosis Test
  • 28 Days Old Financials
  • Requesting CAS Letter from University
  • Applying for IHS (Immigration Health Surcharge)
  • Pay Visa Application Fees 
  • Embassy’s Interview (if required)
  • Post Visa Guidance 


    • Valid passport
    • Visa application form
    • Passport-sized recent photograph
    • Proof that you have paid the visa fee/ visa application fee
    • Proof of funds/financial evidence
    • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) 
    • Valid Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate (If needed)
    • Medical test results for tuberculosis
    • Payment of the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS)
    • Written agreement from financial sponsor (in case of sponsorship)
    • Police clearance certificate

However, if you are under 18 years of age, some additional documents are needed. These are:

  • Proof of consent from parents or legal guardian
  • Evidence of relationship with parents or legal guardian
  • Copy of birth certificate or any government document that displays the names of parents


Cost Incurred on Cost (in Great Britain Pound)
Offer Letter
NO charges (GBP 20-25 if applied through UCAS)
Tuition Fees (1 year)
GBP 10,000- GBP 20000
Living Expenses(9 months)
GBP 9207-GBP 12006
Tuberculosis Test
INR 2500-3000
HIS (Immigration Health Surcharge)
GBP 600-GBP 700
Visa Application Fees(Embassy Fee)
Depends on the service you are taking INR 36000- INR 1,15,000