• Opening Time : 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM



In Singapore, a student visa is referred to as a student pass, and universities in this country are known as Institutes of Higher Learning (IHL). As an international student in Singapore, intending to attend any academic program lasting more than 30 days, you must apply for this student pass. Your visa or pass application is submitted to the Student’s Pass Online Application and Registration or SOLAR system, the country’s official registration system.

For candidates under the age of 19 who intend to enrol in a private institution, the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) processes student pass applications directly. Students above the age of 20 who want to enrol in courses in the fine arts, business, language, or vocational fields may be required to attend an interview.


Singapore has only one study visa — the student pass. This pass is accepted in all 34 IHLs in Singapore that accept international students. But there are variants of the pass.

  1. Student pass based on the duration of the program.

Depending on the length of the program you intend to attend, you can apply for a short term or a long-term student pass. The short-term pass is ideal for students planning to attend certificate or diploma courses, typically lasting for up to 3 months. If you wish to gain admission in a Bachelor’s or Master’s program, you will need a long-term pass.

  1. Student Pass based on the type of program you wish to attend.

Your student pass typically includes details of the course you are attending. Singapore offers a wide range of courses including diplomas, certificate courses, vocational courses, practical training courses for international students, along with Bachelor’s and Master’s Courses.

The registration and issuance fees for both categories of student pass are the same. Apart from these, Singapore also offers the following passes to students:

Type of Pass Requirement
Training Employment Pass Foreign professionals earning at least SGD 3000 pm and undergoing practical training in Singapore.
Work Holiday Pass Students/Graduates in the age group of 18 and 25 years intending to work and holiday in Singapore.
Training Work Permit Students/ semi-skilled trainees undergoing practical training for up to six months.

Note: The student pass also doubles as a part-time employment pass, which you can use to get a job while you are studying. However, you have to surrender your pass within a week of completing your course.


  1. The Visa Processing Fee

You have to pay a visa processing fee of SGD 30. It is an advance; non-refundable fee and you have to pay it when you submit your application to the Singapore ICA. If you choose to submit your student pass application via the SOLAR system, you will have to pay the processing fee through your internet banking account or debit/credit card.

  1. The Visa Issuance Fee

You also have to pay a visa issuance fee of SGD 60 for every student pass issued in your name. Additionally, if you want to exit and re-enter Singapore during your academic course tenure, you have to pay SGD 30 as a multiple-entry fee. You have to pay the issuance and multi-entry fees when you collect your student pass.


To meet with Singapore study visa requirements, you must submit the following documents:

  • Your current and legible passport, valid for a minimum of three months
  • All completed student visa application forms — Form 16 (the main application for student pass) and Form V36 (for additional information on the applicant)
  • The original receipt showing that you have paid the visa application fee
  • The invitation letter issued by the IHL in Singapore
  • Your bank statements showing that you can fund your education in Singapore (both tuition fees and living expenses while studying)
  • Bank loan sanction letter (if applying for a student loan), along with proof of investments, if requested by the ICA
  • Transcripts of your degrees, diplomas or any certificates received from schools attended in India
  • Test scores required by your college, which could be GMAT, TOEFL, GRE, PTE etc.
  • Document showcasing how you intend to bear all the costs associated with living in Singapore.


You need to submit the student pass application between one and two months before your course begins. Here are the steps you need to follow while applying for a student visa for Singapore:

  1. The IHL registers an application on the SOLAR website on your behalf.

Secure the admission letter from your chosen IHL in Singapore and check that they are registered with the SOLAR system. The IHL typically provides your details such as your name, nationality, date of birth, gender, course details etc. to SOLAR. You will also get an application reference number from the IHL, which you can use to access SOLAR and get started with the visa application process.

  1. Submit Form 16 and Form V36.
  • Next, you need to log in to the SOLAR website to submit e-Form 16. Ensure you have the following details before you log in:
  • Registration acknowledgement note and login information provided by the IHL
  • Your passport number and expiration date
  • Your address and contact details in Singapore. You may provide your IHL’s registered address if you don’t have these details.
  • Your email address
  • A recent passport-size photograph
  1. Pay the application fee.
  • Review the form and proceed to pay the application processing fee of SGD 30.

Leave a Reply