Australian universities and colleges offer a wide variety of services to international students that attract them to study there. Being known for excellence in high level courses, students enroll in maximum numbers from almost all countries of the world.
To have an entrance for studying in top ranking Australian Universities or colleges, students need to complete the below mentioned requirements of eligibility that mainly includes academics and English language skills to have better understanding of the chosen study field.
- The English Language Requirements: As the course curriculum is written and taught in English language, so it is must to show the proof of your good communicating skills so that you need not to face any understanding problem in language about your course concepts. Usually, IELTS or PTE is used as an English Testing exam to judge the language ability of an aspirant to study overseas. If the achieved band scores matches with the eligible requirements of a course, you will be accepted easily to enroll in a particular university for post secondary education.
- Academic requirements: It depends on your choice of course and the particular university to which you are enrolled. Mainly, for an undergraduate program, an equivalent to class 12th mark sheet is required along with language skills certificate with good academic scores. Sometimes, there might be specific subjects that you need to study and perform a short level test to be accepted in your program by judging yur practical skills. Depending upon the course study, you have to show all your previous qualifications and work experience, if any to show your skills and efficiency in chosen field. Based on it, your chances of eligibility will increase if you have a good profile.
- Overseas Student Health Cover: Students must have an OHSC (Overseas Student Health Cover) during their study period that helps them to pay for access to medical facilities. Through its use, student can ask for emergency support like provision of ambulance or commonly prescription medicines by paying for it, if any health problem is encountered in future. This health insurance will help you in getting immediate medical help or hospital care in Australia when needed to recover your health.
Looking for a suitable accommodation is the first thing to consider when moving to a new country. Next, it also should be chosen carefully by making a balance between the lifestyle and the budget in pocket. Before shifting anywhere, one needs to take care of the following points, especially by international students:
- The cost of living varies from city to city in a country based on its facilities and special comforts.
- Check the distance of accommodating place from the educational institution so that it will be easier to travel on time for classes.
- The cost of additional facilities like meals, laundry services, and utility bills should be confirmed before signing any agreement so that you can have an advance idea about your total charges of staying either all these will be included in your decided price or have to pay additionally.
- Check out for other market facilities so that you can use it for your entertainment or in case of any emergency like hospitals, shopping centres, and food restaurants to explore diverse features.
While you are studying, the first and important thing to keep in mind is to arrange the accommodation for your safety and comfortable time in an unknown nation. Different types of accommodation are available that have varied facilities and according to these, charges will also vary. To be safe and convenient, especially for students, the residence should be under budget that includes all the domestic requirements and access to emergency facilities. Usually, students are given an option to prefer on-campus housing during their letter of acceptance or study visa which is even inexpensive in comparison to others, but it depends on the student what type of accommodation he/she will prefer. Some students want to live privately and explore more opportunities, so they seek the open environment with extraordinary facilities that are costly and expenses are not in the limit of everyone.
Some of the major accommodation sources are mentioned here with their estimated charges that students can choose according to their interest and financial status during their study visa period.
- Short term accommodation: For the first time stay during study period, it is better to live in temporary residence for a comfortable period that also provide you some time to look for other affordable and best place. To receive a discount, you can search in hotels or hostels for a short-term stay; even can have a choice to stay in enrolled institution’s temporary housing outside the campus area which is the cheapest source. An approximate value of living in a hostel or guesthouse lies in the range of $90 to $150 per week.
- Rental: In this option, students can live alone or share the room of an apartment with friends, which is an effective way to cut off the paying costs. To rent an apartment, an advance payment should be done to book a room for atleast four weeks which is deposited as a security to offer such facilities. The shared rental charges makes around $95 to $215 for a week, but if you want to stay privately on a rent, it would be costlier and reach to nearly $185 to $440 for the same staying period. Moreover, if you want to prevent yourself from additional repairing costs, you can contact to real estate agent that provides an advantage of partial or full refund, after your agreement of being a tenant is over, for the amount you have invested on repair of property. For more rights and benefits allotted to the tenant, you can research on relevant Residential Tenancy Authority in your preferred state or territory where you want to live.
- Student Specific Residence: These are home allotments to international students that mostly have their locations near to public areas for easier access to round the clock facilities. With a closer proximity to public transport in the central area, visitors can have a look on whole region to explore more opportunities. Usually, the availability of studio apartments and shared rooms having a range of around 16 beds along with the provision of community services makes it the inexpensive mode of living. Some other amenities like electricity bills, and internet data is offered as a supplement in the living costs that makes constancy in monthly charges.
- On Campus: The universities, colleges or other institutes offer on-campus residential facilities to enrolled international students, if they want to accept, they can. Furthermore, all the required support of facilities including three meals a day, cleaning and room requirements are provided with a reasonable charge. Around $110 to $280 charges are mentioned for on-campus stay for a weekly duration. So, the benefit of time, cost and travel saving can be enjoyed and it is the safest place to live in a foreign land. If we consider about staying in boarding schools during study, its average annual cost is $11,000 to $22, 000.
- Home Stay: This residential option is chosen by those students who want to enjoy the whole housing services and interested in immersing themselves in the multicultural environment by living with an Australian family. This is an effective way to socialize with foreigners and develop good relations with them along with saving time for studies as most of the household work is performed by the host family like offering meals. For a weekly plan to stay, the estimated living expenditure is charged $235 to $325.
Students need to manage their educational, accommodation and other daily expenses on things of domestic requirement during their time period in other nation. So, before moving overseas, students should have an idea about the estimated total cost incurred on all these utilities to avoid any financial issues. Also, the cost of education depends on the study location and the educational institution’s facilities in which you want to enroll, the level of study like diploma, degree, undergraduate, or post graduate program, course material or other co-op work term costs id not included in tuition fees of a course. All these study expenses vary from course to course and institution to institution.
Some of the estimated costs for different levels of study are listed below:
- School education - $7800 to $30000
- Vocational Education and Training (including diplomas) - $4000 to $22000
- Undergraduate Bachelor Degree - $20000 to $45000
- Postgraduate Masters Degree - $22000 to $50000
- Doctoral Degree - $18000 to $42000
Scholarships to brilliant students are provided by the Australian Universities, Government and private organizations that depend on the type of scholarship application applied by the student according to the eligibility conditions. Every year, scholarships are provided to international students to support them financially in their educational and living costs.
Some of the famous scholarship categories are mentioned as:
- Australia Awards: To improve the level of knowledge and expand educational links with the neighbouring countries, Australia Award is started which collaborates the scholarships sponsored by different areas of learning; especially by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT), the Department of Education, and the Australian Center for International Agricultural Research.
- Destination Australia: Through the Destination Australia program, Australian Government is supporting both the domestic and international students of diploma level or above qualifications to receive the financial aid of $15000 to each student per year. To maintain the mobility and success of this leading step, around 1000 scholarships have been estimated to be awarded annually to deserved candidates and removing financial troubles in their education.
- University Scholarships: The institution to which an international student is enrolled, can offer a number of scholarships based on the academic merit list. According to the eligibility and course level, the specified amount is offered after fulfilling the requirements to support financially in studies. Any additional information about this complete process is available by having consultations with the admissions team or international office in enrolled university.
WORK OPPORTUNITIES IN AUSTRALIA
While pursuing studies as an international student, it is important to do part-time job either in government or private sector to gain working experience and get aware of the culture of host country. It will help you to manage the routine expenses and to learn hands-on skills in variety of fields other than course studies. The flexibility of work in Australia is beneficial to students as they can work after their class hours to around 20 hours per week and full-time during their course breaks. The permission of working during studies is applicable with the study visa that an international student already apply to pursue the selected course during his/her visit to Australia. The protection of every worker is same as others who are already working in that particular work place that inspires the students to work efficiently as they are also getting per hour pay although the job type may be of lower designation but still get the required minimum wages. Moreover, if needed to support financially, government, private firms, or enrolled institutions will help you in the same during your studies or work opportunities will be provided to cut off the costs.
There are various working industries that offer a golden chance to gain practical experience and earn money for international visitors. The economy of Australia is booming that has its high value in countries like India and can be a good source to stable the economic condition during study period. The famous sectors that offer employment opportunities are:
- Retail – work in supermarkets, department stores, and boutiques
- Hospitality – serve in bars, café, and hotel
- Services – do care taking jobs like child care, aged care, and cleaning
- Administration and Clerical Work
Apart from these job varieties, students can perform seasonal work where the earning is more during on-season like in farming and fruit picking which is kept progressing throughout the year according to the demand of seasonal fruit and cereals. Also, Indian students have a large benefit from it as they have mostly higher knowledge about farming practices, so performing the similar work can help them to adjust better and work effectively to earn in dollars.
Australia also provides an access to its aspirants to attain a Permanent Residence (PR) after completing the selected study course. For this, you need to receive a work permit before the expiry of student visa to work for a longer time in your dream country. Completion of bachelor or master degree will make you eligible for availing the benefit of post study work flow as the right of international student. Also, you can seek for higher designations in government sectors after completing all the eligibility requirements of job and gaining the required experience as a professional worker if you want a high income.